- In a large bowl, sift together both flours, the sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs and buttermilk. Slowly stream in the melted butter, and add the vanilla and lemon zest.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients in a few batches, stirring with a wooden spoon and being careful not to overmix (the batter should be lumpy).
- Grease a large skillet with extra butter and heat over medium heat.
- Spoon 1/3 cup batter into the skillet and sprinkle with berries. Cook for about 2-3 minutes, or until tiny bubbles appear on the top and the bottom is golden brown. Flip and cook remaining side for another 2-3 minutes.