- In a small saucepan over low heat or a microwave-safe bowl in the microwave, melt butter and set aside.
- Position a rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 450F, and place a 10-inch cast-iron skillet inside for at least 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, both flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the center.
- In a medium bowl, gently whisk together the eggs and buttermilk, followed by the honey until smooth. Add the egg mixture to the center of the flour mixture, and stir with a rubber spatula until just combined. Fold in the melted butter. Don’t overmix; the batter should look a little lumpy. Gently fold the corn into the batter.
- Decrease the oven temperature to 400F.
- Using thick oven mitts, carefully remove the hot skillet from the oven. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons butter (it will sizzle and brown for great flavor) and tilt it carefully to coat the bottom and the sides of the pan.
- Scrape the batter into the hot skillet. Bake until the edges of the cornbread turn golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Let sit for 10 minutes before cutting into wedges. Serve warm or room temperature with extra honey, if you like.