- Dutch oven optional
- 2 medium size Russet potatoes
- 3 medium size parsnips
- 1 medium size leek
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 Tbsp Kate’s Salted Butter
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup Kate’s Buttermilk
- 1/2 cup half & half creamer
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Peel and chop potatoes and parsnips into 1-inch pieces.
- Place potatoes and parsnips in a large bowl and add in the oil. Mix until well-coated.
- Spread onto a cookie sheet pan and roast for 30-40 minutes, or until light golden brown in color and pieces are soft.
- While vegetables are roasting, prepare the leek by cutting off and discarding the root end and the thick dark green part of the leek.
- Cut the leek in half lengthwise and rinse thoroughly under cold water. Make sure to pull the layers apart and rinse well. Leek may have dirt in between the layers.
- Once the leek is washed well, chop into small pieces.
- On low heat, melt butter in a dutch oven or medium size soup pot. Add leeks and thyme and sauté on low until leeks are well softened, stirring occasionally.
- When vegetables are done roasting, put half of them in a blender, along with half the leeks and half the vegetable broth. Puree until it becomes smooth and creamy.
- Pour the puree back into the dutch oven.
- Put in the remaining broth and roasted vegetables.
- Stir well, and then add the buttermilk and half & half creamer.
- Do not bring soup to a boil, buttermilk will curdle.
- Taste for seasoning and add pepper and salt to taste. Warm soup through and serve.